SPMO: Large Cap Momentum At Its Best
January 19, 2023
- Momentum is the simple idea that stocks which performed relatively strong over the recent past (winners) tend to outperform those that performed poorly (losers).
- The Invesco S&P 500 Momentum ETF invests in the 100 stocks with the highest “momentum score” (12-month return) from the S&P 500 Index.
- Since inception in 2015, SPMO delivered momentum exposure with respect to the academic benchmark of Kenneth French. Since 2017, it also outperformed most momentum-peers.
- SPMO especially outperformed MTUM, a similar large cap momentum ETF. However, most of this outperformance is unlikely systematic and probably comes from different rebalancing dates in 2022.
- For investors who actively want large-cap momentum exposure, SPMO is a reasonable and cheap instrument. For those who want general momentum exposure, a fund with a larger universe is probably the better choice.
- SA #18: RPV – ‘Pure Value’ Is Indeed More Value Than ‘Value’
- SA #17: IUSV – Transparent Value With Modest Active Risk
- SA #16: IWD – Low Growth Is Not Necessarily Value – Also For Large Caps
- SA #15: VLUE – Transparent Value With Little Industry Bets
This content is for educational and informational purposes only and no substitute for professional or financial advice. The use of any information on this website is solely on your own risk and I do not take responsibility or liability for any damages that may occur. The views expressed on this website are solely my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of any organisation I am associated with. Income- or benefit-generating links are marked with a star (*). All content that is not my intellectual property is marked as such. If you own the intellectual property displayed on this website and do not agree with my use of it, please send me an e-mail and I will remedy the situation immediately. Please also read the Disclaimer.