VT: As Passive As Practically Possible
January 29, 2023
- The Vanguard Total World Stock ETF is one of the leading ETFs to invest truly passively in global stock markets.
- Passive investing means holding the market portfolio. Applied to equities, this is the market-cap weighted portfolio of all available stocks in the world. By definition, this goes beyond the US.
- Since 2008, the US market has a tracking error of 6.6% compared to VT. The active share currently stands at 41% which makes a pure-US portfolio a quite active strategy.
- Historically, active bets on the US were well rewarded. But it’s unclear if this pattern continues. The case for passive investing and global diversification is therefore as strong as ever.
- VT tracks the FTSE Global All Cap Index and holds 9,473 stocks from 49 countries. With just 0.07% TER, it is thus a very efficient instrument for global passive investors.
- SA #18: RPV – ‘Pure Value’ Is Indeed More Value Than ‘Value’
- SA #17: IUSV – Transparent Value With Modest Active Risk
- SA #16: IWD – Low Growth Is Not Necessarily Value – Also For Large Caps
- SA #15: VLUE – Transparent Value With Little Industry Bets
This content is for educational and informational purposes only and no substitute for professional or financial advice. The use of any information on this website is solely on your own risk and I do not take responsibility or liability for any damages that may occur. The views expressed on this website are solely my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of any organisation I am associated with. Income- or benefit-generating links are marked with a star (*). Please also read the Disclaimer.